Hollowverse

[Peter Davison] He is an Atheist, quoted as saying “ I don't believe in life after death. I don'

He is an Atheist, quoted as saying “ I don’t believe in life after death. I don’t believe in God, to be honest with you. I was brought up Church of England, I was Christened, I went to Sunday School, I was told the stories and then at a certain age, I forget exactly what age, I just thought this doesn’t make any sense at all. I’ve nothing against religion, I think in a social sense, in a community sense, in a support structure sense, it’s great, but if you ask me if I believe in God, no. I mean, it seems to me to be impossible. In a logical world, I don’t see how God can exist, not the kind of God that we think of, in other words a caring God who is looking over us and looking after us. I wonder about huge things like the creation of the universe, there’s no answer I have to that, but I don’t think that God is the answer, or if God is an answer, if he created the universe, I don’t think he’s even aware of our existence, because in the whole scheme of things the universe has been here for 15 billion years, we have been on this planet for 300,000 years approximately, Christianity has been around for 2,000 years. There will be another religion that comes along and the universe will carry on for billions of years after the sun has died. I can’t equate that with the idea that there is a God who is concerned about our existence and our life and our death. I don’t think we need to depend on religion to tell us what is right and what is wrong. I think we are quite capable of knowing what that is and we want to live like that, we’re a social animal. It’s a very comforting thought, probably, when you die or are about to die, that you are going to go somewhere else, and it’s comforting I’m sure that if someone close to you dies, you think that they’ve gone somewhere else, but I don’t think it’s true.”

Tags: Atheist

Source: Peter Davison - IMDb

Hi Max, thanks for submitting! Unfortunately we can’t accept IMBD as source if it isn’t the original source. I couldn’t find this quote elsewhere, so we don’t know when Peter said that, or what context!