Hollowverse

Katy Perry grew up in religious household but doesn't follow it as adult

Perry, born Katheryn Hudson, has been a performer since childhood, the self-confessed “black sheep” daughter of evangelical Christian pastors who carefully sheltered her from the pernicious modern world in “a bubble beyond the bubble” of like-minded community and schooling. “The schools were really makeshift,” Perry recalls. “Education was not the first priority. My education started in my 20s, and there is so much to learn still.” She was not, for instance, “allowed to interact with gay people,” she remembers, and “there is some generational racism. But I came out of the womb asking questions, curious from day one, and I am really grateful for that: My curiosity has led me here. Anything I don’t understand, I will just ask questions about.” If Perry doesn’t know a word (nimble, monosyllabic), or a reference (Picasso’s Guernica, Vanity Fair’s Hive), she inquires about it. She even sees her epic world tours as a process of “reeducation”—“really I am on this genius road trip throughout the world because when we tour, we tour very well and we see the sights.”

Tags: Learning Continues Through Adulthood

Source: Katy Perry’s Vogue Cover: The Star on Her Religious Childhood, Politics, and Style | Vogue