Hollowverse

Chris Rock on Hollywood’s Race Problem

Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Equality

# Neutral to Social Justice
3 Dec 2014

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, talking about Hollywood's race problem, Chris Rock said

It’s a white industry. Just as the NBA is a black industry. I’m not even saying it’s a bad thing. It just is. And the black people they do hire tend to be the same person. That person tends to be female and that person tends to be Ivy League. And there’s nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, that’s what I want for my daughters. But something tells me that the life my privileged daughters are leading right now might not make them the best candidates to run the black division of anything. And the person who runs the black division of a studio should probably have worked with black people at some point in their life. Clint Culpepper [a white studio chief who specializes in black movies] does a good job at Screen Gems because he’s the kind of guy who would actually go see Best Man Holiday . But how many black men have you met working in Hollywood? They don’t really hire black men. A black man with bass in his voice and maybe a little hint of facial hair? Not going to happen. It is what it is. I’m a guy who’s accepted it all.
Source >

This user contribution was reformatted and added to the record of Chris Rock's views on 24 Jun 2022.